How to choose the perfect wooden furniture for your home?
The true connoisseurs of wood understand the different types of wood - the texture, color, gradients, and the intrinsic characteristics of each type of wood. It’s a must to understand the basic properties of wood in order to make good choices for wooden furniture. This is especially important when buying wooden furniture online.
Wondering what are the types of wood used for making furniture? And how can you tell if the wood furniture is good quality? We’ll tell you all about wooden furniture and how to choose the best quality bed, chairs, table, wardrobe or more.
One of the most preferred for wooden furniture, rubber wood is light in weight and has an attractive grainy surface that can add to the furniture design. When buying your wooden furniture online, make sure you read about the material, check the weight, and notice the gradients of the surface. To help you choose rubber wood furniture, here are its pros and cons.
● Rubber wood is one of the most cost-effective options for making wooden furniture.
● Rubber wood takes stains well and can be easily cleaned and maintained.
● Rubber wood has minimal shrinkage and cracking and hence, it works well for furniture.
● Like most wooden furniture, rubber wood is not suitable for outdoor furniture.
● If not taken care, rubber wood could warp and distort.
You might have come across the term ‘engineered wood’ quite a lot when buying furniture. This wood type is not favored by many because of false notions attached to this technical term. But there’s nothing to worry about. Engineered wood is man-made wood.
Whether you’re looking for a chair, table, bed, or dressers, if you’re considering engineered wood, make sure you understand the quality of the engineered wood. The thickness and weight can give you a fair amount of idea about the quality of the wood.
● Engineered wood is less expensive than natural wood.
● It is versatile and available in different sizes, thickness, and grades.
● It has a smoother and flatter surface than natural wood.
● They are a sustainable and eco-friendly option for wooden furniture.
● If the quality of the engineered wood is bad, it affects the life of the furniture.
● Engineered wood is not water resistant and can soak up or swell.
Sheesham wood is sourced from trees such as Indian rosewood, Dalbergia Sissoo, and Penny leaf tree. This wood is classified as hardwood and is highly strong and resistant, even though these qualities make it difficult to convert it into furniture.
When selecting furniture made of sheesham wood, keep these points in mind: the color should be from golden to deep brown, it should have natural wood markings and visible streaks. It should feel tough, durable and heavy.
● It is a highly durable wood.
● It has a quality that allows it to be carved easily, which works well for furniture pieces such as beds, tables and chairs that need decorative elements.
● Cannot be exposed to extreme temperatures.
● It needs polishing and maintenance at regular intervals.
Generally, solid wood is used to differentiate ordinary lumber and engineered wood and refers to wood that isn’t hollow. Solid wood is eco-friendly as it is sourced from managed forests and does not harm the natural habitat. It also uses little energy for production.
When buying solid wood furniture online, you must ensure where the solid wood is manufactured, where it is sourced from and whether it is of good quality.
● Has long durability.
● Is sustainable and eco-friendly.
● Solid wood retains its appearance once converted to furniture pieces and achieves an attractive patina at the edges.
● Costs more than engineered wood.
● At times, engineered wood and solid wood can be mixed up, so one has to be careful when buying it.
MDF, short form for Medium Density Fibreboard is a kind of engineered wood that is made by breaking down hardwood or softwood into fine particles and then combined with wax.
When choosing furniture made of MDF, it’s important to check the strength of the furniture as this type of wood cannot take too much weight. Apart from the furniture, it is important to note how and where you will be keeping the furniture. Eg., if you’re looking for a chair for your balcony that will be exposed to harsh sunlight, then MDF is not a suitable option. It’s good to know its pros and cons:
● MDF is more compact and strong than plywood.
● It is hard to flex and crack and hence can be used for rough use furniture as well.
● It is easier to paint furniture made of MDF.
● If manufactured with poor quality material, its durability might be lesser.
● MDF is vulnerable to extreme heat.
● It cannot take too much weight.
Over to you
Buying wooden furniture online can be difficult but it’s not impossible. With this guide, you will no longer have to worry about the quality of the wood and the furniture. Ready for some wooden furniture online shopping? Head to our store to browse through a wide range of options for wooden chairs, benches, beds, wardrobes, and more.