Explore Different Types of Mattresses - Pros & Cons
Are you exploring different types of mattresses and find yourself a bit lost and confused? Don’t fret… it’s common. We’ll tell you all about the different kinds of mattresses and the pros and cons of each type.
Different types of mattresses
Coir mattress is one of the most common types of mattress. It is made of natural fibre -- mostly sourced from coconut husk. This natural material makes it a hard kind of mattress. Coconut husk has a natural spring quality. When used to make a coir mattress, it gives a good support to the back and the body. It is one of the most eco-friendly types of mattresses that is made of natural material. What is more, it is also one of the more cost-effective types of mattresses
Let’s look at pros and cons of coir mattress:
- Gives a cooling effect as it’s a natural material
- Sturdy and durable
- The surface does not bend soon
- It is cost-effective
- A good option for those who prefer natural materials
- You can find coir mattresses of different sizes - single, queen size mattress, and king size mattress
- Can catch moisture if kept in damp spaces
- Can be a bit hard for those who prefer soft surfaces
Foam mattresses are made of soft polyurethane or polyol foam. The thickness of these mattresses vary depending on the number of layers the mattress has. Because of the softness of foam, these mattresses provide a contouring feel and distributed support to the back and the body. Many people find foam mattresses more comfortable to sleep in as they are softer compared to coir mattresses.
Pros and cons of foam mattress
- Suitable to those who prefer softness
- Absorbs human heat and keeps it cool
- Helps relieve back pain
- Keeps allergic components at bay
- Foam mattress is available in different sizes: single, queen size mattress, and king size mattress
- Can be heavy if made of dense foam
- It’s not waterproof hence requires one to be careful
A spring mattress is made with the combination of metal coils or springs and layers of other material for softness. There are four types of coils - continuous, offset, pocket and bonnell. Each of these provide different levels of support to the back and body. Coils are surrounded and layered with other soft material.
Good for: those who prefer bounce, durability and strong support
- Cost effective option
- Is sturdy and durable as it is made of metal spring
- Aids better ventilation due to the space in the spring keeping the mattress cooler
- Available in single, queen and king size
- Can be disturbing if two people sleep on the same bed due to the bounce
- Can be hard to repair if damaged
Check out this fully bonded foam mattress - perfect for back support. Made of knitted soft fabric, it is reversible, and can be used on both sides.
An orthopedic mattress is specially designed to provide support to the neck, back and body. Orthopedic mattresses provide relief from pain. These mattresses are usually recommended for people suffering from back pain, recovering from injury, or old people who have age-related back issues.
Orthopedic mattresses support back and spine alignment. They are designed to relieve pressure and hence they help avoid pain buildup. The result: comfort for longer periods and better sleep.
Here are the pros and cons of orthopedic mattresses:
- Provides good support to the neck, back and body.
- Enables pain relief and better sleep.
- Available in various different kinds.
- Have the ability to adapt to different weathers and temperatures.
- Provide less bounce, more comfort.
- Available in single, queen size mattress and king size mattress.
- Is on the expensive side.
- Hard to maintain and repair.
- They are heavier compared to other types of mattresses.
Explore this orthopaedic mattress - made with visco elastic foam, it provides support to the back spinal arch, distributes weight and ensures no pressure points.
A quick search for mattress online will give you many options - hybrid, coir mattress, orthopedic mattress, foam mattress, cotton mattress, spring mattress, among others. You can choose the best one based on the pros and cons and your individual needs. Head to Nilkamal online store to explore the different types of mattresses.